Wood Drying Topics > General Discussion

Dry kilns emissions reduction

<< < (2/4) > >>

Craig Jensen:
Ingo,
Are you talking about overall plant emissions being down because of the lower fuel consumption needed to generate heat due to increased heat efficiency?  Or are you saying that if heat use in the kiln is more efficient, than the kiln itself will emit fewer emissions from the wood drying process?
CJ

ingo wallocha:
Hi Craig,

The water that we have to evaporate out of the lumber will always stay the same and it has to go somewhere. So when I am saying less VOC I am just referring to less steam coming out of the vents. There will be condensate instead. So I am saying that the overall plant emissions will be down and the VOCs will be down but not the kiln emissions since they are a result of evaporating the water in the wood.

Makes sense? 

Craig Jensen:
so the emissions stay dissolved in the water, and since the water does not leave the vents, then there are fewer emissions?

is that what you are staying?

MichaelM:
If you reduce steam use, I agree that plant emissions will be reduced because less fuel is burned.  I'm not sure that a heat recovery device reduces overall kiln emissions.

In my earlier post, I said the heat recovery device does not remove emissions.  If one pound of VOC enteres the device in the gas phase, the about one pound leaves in the gas phase.  A tiny amount goes into the condensed water based on Henry's law.  Same for HAPs.  The water is too warm to absorb volitile organic componds. 

ingo wallocha:
when you have less steam coming out of the vents you have less VOC coming out of the vents. When a heat recovery unit reduces your energy consumption you will have less VOC. And yes, Craig, as far as I can tell the emissions stay dissolved in the water there are fewer emissions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version