« Last post by IMPACT on Today at 01:00:56 PM »
Production Superintendent (Dry Kiln)
• Minimum of 5 years of production supervision in a high speed solid hardwood environment, meaning; at or greater than 3,000 BF or SF output per hour.
• Mechanical aptitude greater than a basic understanding around a minimum of two of the following machine centers; gang rip saws, moulders and optimizing chop lines.
• A firm understanding of standards and processes used to maintain quality standards and the ability to teach corrective action to line level employees.
• Experience in adhering to and enforcing safety policies.
• Exceptional mathematical skills including the understanding of fractions, calipers, measurements and production level yield and financial analytics.
• Cause and effect analytical capabilities when studying input cost, yield, machine yield loss and grade recovery.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, up and downstream of their position.
• Modern computer skills.
• A candidate who is not easily intimidated in a loud, fast paced environment while leading and being led.
• The ideal candidate will have experience in a Northern dimension plant, moulding plant or flooring plant where tolerances, yield and speed are critical.
For immediate response please email your resume to Larry@impact-tqr.com
« Last post by IMPACT on Today at 12:59:53 PM »
Dry Kiln Manager
Supervise and manage the transportation and storage of rough green lumber, and the operation of the Dry Kilns. Assure a safe work environment while maximizing production, quality, and grade and value recovery. Consistently work to enhance and improve operating performance. Manage lumber through the yard and Dry Kilns to meet immediate planning and ultimate shipping requirements.
Qualifications – Required:
• AA degree in technically related field or equivalent experience.
• Basic PC skills.
• Five years of dry kiln and planer experience.
• Minimum of 2 years supervisory experience. Interpersonal/Management
• Proven leadership abilities.
• Strong organization and analytical skills.
• Ability to communicate effectively.
Qualifications – Preferred:
• Certified Grader
• Specific training in personal computers, supervisory/management development, wood technology, and maintenance.
• Strong knowledge of the working principles of steam distribution, heat transfer, air circulation, and condensate return systems.
• Computer and electronic maintenance knowledge.
For immediate response please email your resume to: Larry@impact-tqr.com
« Last post by IMPACT on Today at 12:59:12 PM »
Plant Manager (Dry Kiln)
Salary will be commensurate with experience
Will report to the Director and manage hourly employees for this excellent company!
1. 5 years managing a circular and/or band sawmill producing hardwood dimension lumber or similar products
2. Strong maintenance/mechanical abilities to direct equipment repairs, refurbishment and proposals for continuous improvement
3. Certified in log grading/scaling – NHLA certification preferred, but 5+ years practical experience will be considered in lieu
4. Experience as a sawyer – taper and live sawing experience preferred
5. Computer skills must include Word and Excel
6. Kiln operation experience preferred
7. Administrative skills in performance management, budgeting, and office practices
8. Working knowledge of OSHA rules/regulations regarding sawmills and associated equipment – focus on safety is extremely important
9. B.S. in Science or engineering preferred , but not a knock out
1. Manage the day to day operation of a sawmill providing vertically integrated lumber products to sister divisions
2. Provide leadership in attaining company goals related to productivity, quality, profitability, safety and housekeeping while maintaining an energized and motivated work environment
3. Provide vision in proposing and evaluating new processes/methods/equipment to grow the unit and continuously improve the product and profitability
Key Personal Attributes:
1. Team player, but a strong leader
2. Hands on style – this is not a desk job
3. Analytical and good solving problems
4. Strong desire to make things better and improve continuously
5. Good communicator
6. Honest and ethical in dealing with people at all levels
Log sourcing and grading is the major strategic advantage as well as specialty sawing and drying methods, the search should focus on logs, grading, drying and sawmill operational experience.
For immediate response please email your resume to: Larry@impact-tqr.com
or call Larry at (269)353-5575.
« Last post by IMPACT on Today at 12:58:03 PM »
Wood Lumber Preparation Process Specialist (Dry Kiln Expert)
100K+, + Bonus
Can live in TN, WV, AR, or MO. (Maybe others)
Relocation package available if needed
Seeking a Wood Lumber Preparation Process Specialist who will bring new ideas and strong project management skills to continually improve to this Hardwood Operations. The Wood Lumber Preparation Process Specialist will provide technical expertise to the hardwood flooring manufacturing plants and lead initiatives to improve yield and reduce moisture variability. The Process Specialist will also have the opportunity to participate in process improvement initiatives, using a range of process improvement tools, including Lean manufacturing.
The Wood Lumber Preparation Process Specialist will report to the Manager of Engineering and Process Improvement and provide support to four Solid Hardwood Flooring Plants. The candidate will be responsible for meeting the following KPI goals: improved manufacturing safety performance, improvements in yield, improvements in moisture variability, improvement in cycle time and overall drying cost. The Wood Lumber Preparation Process Specialist will work closely with the Lean Center of Excellence to implement improvement initiatives across the hardwood flooring plants.
Required Qualifications for the Wood Lumber Preparation Process Specialist:
•Bachelor's degree in engineering or Wood Science. Experience will be considered in lieu of a degree
•10+ years of progressively more accountable manufacturing experience
•Expertise in all aspects of lumber preparation
•Proven record of developing and implementing plans for process improvement
•Experience with continuous improvement processes, including Lean Manufacturing
•Personal experience in leading Kaizen Events
•Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong employee management skills, solid project management and presentation skills
•Proficiency in Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint
•Willingness to travel up to 50%
Desired Qualifications for the Wood Lumber Preparation Process Specialist:
•Experience in flooring or a wood processing industry.
•Lean experience and certification
For immediate response please email your resume to Larry@impact-tqr.com
« Last post by PhilM on July 24, 2014, 11:03:47 AM »
Do you think that if you had a smaller volume dry kiln your drying quality would improve? Possible reasons for improved drying quality could include:
- less time required to build a complete kiln load of same species, thickness, and length (and less need to mix species, thicknesses, or initial moisture contents)
- less time would mean less chance of developing the precursors of stain in lumber before the kiln during summer months
- less time might mean lumber packages spend a similar amount of time on air drying yard, hence have similar initial moisture contents so that the starting kiln schedule is right for all the lumber
- a smaller kiln should be able to achieve more uniform drying conditions in terms of heat, humidity and air flow, resulting in a more uniform final moisture content
Obviously having multiple smaller kilns (as opposed to a single larger kiln) would be a larger capital investment. Do you think there is enough demand for lumber having a high drying quality that would support the increased price due to increased costs?
« Last post by fbushaw on July 19, 2014, 01:57:07 PM »
Built on Tradition
From its Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, headquarters, the closely held, family-owned company continues to be "Idaho Grown." The company is now one of America's largest lumber producers, with capacity for nearly one billion board feet per year and markets around the globe. The company founders hold high standards when it comes to product, process and company objectives. This is a healthy, growing company – big enough for its national and international markets, but with hometown ethics and a pride in the job well done. Excellence is the goal in caring for natural resources, employees and customers.
A kiln operator dries lumber to specified moisture content while meeting high product quality standards. This position is a rotating 12 hour shift, 4 days on 4 days off.
•Follow key safety processes for the facility
•Dry lumber of all sorts, using computer to control kilns
•Monitor kilns all throughout shift and make adjustments as needed
•Operate forklift to load, unload kilns and change kilns
•Cover for sawmill/planer drivers when necessary
•Complete daily paperwork and daily reports on computer
•Help with new hire training and cross training of existing employees
•Clean work areas
•Other duties as directed by supervisor
•High School Diploma or GED
•Valid Driver's License
•18 years of age
•Have a good safety record and the ability to work in a team
•Have good work habits and attendance record
•Have the ability to lift 100 lbs.
•Must be able to work outside in bad conditions (hot, cold, and wet)
•Must be able to climb up and down stairs several times a day
•Have the ability to pay attention to detail
•Must be self-motivated and able to work alone
•Must be willing to learn all aspects of the job (computers, moisture meters
•Previous kiln experience
We understand the value of our employees and how each and every one plays such a vital role in the day to day success of Idaho Forest Group. Idaho Forest Group looks for driven people with strong work ethics, morals and values. When we find them, we want to keep them. Therefore, we offer competitive total rewards compensation.
Idaho Forest Group has a wide range of benefits including Health Care coverage, Flexible Spending accounts, Wellness programs, Life and Disability protection, 401(k) benefits, Vacation pay, Holiday pay, Family and Self Care Leave, Scholarships, and more. We value a good balance between career and personal life and encourage a healthy lifestyle.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, protected veteran status, or any other category protected by law.
Apply online at Idaho Forest Group
« Last post by admin on July 17, 2014, 10:30:36 AM »
Kiln and Energy Plant SupervisorTracking Code
108-108 Job Description
The Kiln / Energy Plant Supervisor is responsible for leadership and administration metrics for the Kilns and Energy Plant. The incumbent will effectively oversee staffing, production development and direction of their team to drive the growth of safety, quality, cost, delivery, and employee engagement. The Kiln / Energy Plant Supervisor is responsible for building and maintaining relationships with all employees including forklift operators, kiln attendants, the quality control department and the maintenance department, while ensuring the integration of strategic and divisional plans / systems and processes within the department.Primary Duties:
- Works with all personnel to ensure compliance in safety, environment, company policies and WorkSafe BC safety regulations
- Coordinates Kiln-loading and Planer-in requirements with Sawmill production, in order to attain forecasted Planer-out production
- Sets up and monitors Kiln schedules to ensure a high value is maintained through the drying process.
- Ensures the Energy Plant (low pressure high temperature thermal energy plant) operates safely, efficiently and effectively.
- Assists the Maintenance Department with preventative/predictive maintenance programs to maintain the Kilns and Energy Plant.
- Supervises and coordinates all area production employees and equipment related to the Kilns and Energy Plant.
- Ensures established safety, quality, cost, delivery, and employee engagement KPI’s are met or exceeded on a consistent basis
- Fosters a culture of knowledge sharing with other personnel
- Provides coverage relief for other Supervisory roles within the Department.
The successful candidate will bring the following experience and expertise:
- Minimum Grade 12 education with preference given to candidates with relevant post secondary education
- Supervisory experience in the sawmill industry
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications with the ability to learn new programs
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to thrive as a management team member in a unionized work environment
- Strong analytical and problem solving abilities with the flexibility to effectively respond to continually changing internal and external business conditions.
- TDG, WHMIS and previous Energy Plant operation training would be an asset.
- Kiln operating experience and basic knowledge of mobile equipment would be assets
- Demonstrated safe work behavior
- Analytical thinking skills
- Strong leadership skills
- Adaptable and flexible
- Builds cooperative and trusting working relationships
- Works with limited supervision
- Is highly organized, meets deadlines and is self motivated
to Apply NOTE: Job postings on Kilndrying.org are provided as a free service. We do our best to keep all postings current. However, if you discover a job listed on our forum is no longer available, please send us a message to that effect and we will remove from the board. Thank you.
« Last post by admin on July 15, 2014, 12:48:36 PM »
Are you experiencing a log supply shortage in your area? What do you think is the cause?
--Posted on behalf of Phil Mitchell
« Last post by admin on July 09, 2014, 12:56:47 PM »
KILN TECHNICIAN - 026737Description
Georgia-Pacific creates long-term value by using resources efficiently to provide innovative products and solutions that meet the needs of customers and society, while operating in a manner that is environmentally and socially responsible, and economically sound. Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia-Pacific LLC is one of the world's leading manufacturers and marketers of building products, consumer products, packaging, paper, cellulose and chemicals. The company employs more than 30,000 people at approximately 300 locations in North and South America.
Georgia Pacific Camden Texas
Position: Kiln Operations Technician
- Responsible for lubricating, cleaning and maintaining Rolling Stock and Kiln
- Perform daily quality checks.
- Properly maintain all Kiln environmental systems
- Ability to operate computer based Kiln operation systems
- Maintain housekeeping of the Kiln work area and all other assigned duties
- Assist supervisor with completing Operational Reports and completing accurate inventories
- Must maintain an Operator’s license for Cat Loader, Taylor lift, Hyster lift and Scissor Lift per GP’s training
- Must be responsible in your part for driving the safety and environmental and reliability culture for Camden Lumber
- Treat others with dignity and respect at all times
- High School Diploma or GED (5 years of verifiable continuous work history in a labor intensive environment can be substituted for a high school diploma or GED
- 6 months continuous work history
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Successful completion of background verification and drug testing
- Ability to communicate effectively with oral and written communication
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Ability to adapt quickly to change and work with minimal supervision
- Willingness to work a flexible work schedule to include holidays and weekends
- Willingness to work in a hot, humid, cold and noisy environment
- Willingness to perform repetitive and physically demanding tasks for extended periods (lifting, walking, climbing, pushing, twisting, stooping)
- Willingness to wear necessary PPE (safety glasses, ear plugs, hard hat, 6” top leather steel toe boots, etc.)
- Willingness to maintain strict adherence to safety rules/regulations
- Willingness to work in a tobacco free environment
- Willingness to work in a fast paced environment
- Willingness to work around moving equipment
- Willingness to work in a tight, closed in or confined space
- Willingness to work at heights of at least 60’ at times
- Willingness to wear a limited amount of jewelry
Salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.TO APPLY: Click HereNOTE: Job postings on Kilndrying.org are provided as a free service. We do our best to keep all postings current. However, if you discover a job listed on our forum is no longer available, please send us a message to that effect and we will remove from the board. Thank you.
« Last post by admin on July 09, 2014, 12:31:00 PM »
Job Title: Boiler/Kiln Lead
Job Location: WillaminaJob Description:
The successful candidate will be team and goals orientated with all crew members and departments, and have a positive attitude while projecting a positive image when promoting safe teamwork. This person will also have intimate knowledge of boiler and kiln operation and be capable of training teams to operate the boiler and kiln through knowledge of operation, by demonstrating and having the team demonstrate thorough understanding of systems consistent with the job functions described in the boiler and klin operator's position.Boiler Basic Function:
Supervise maintenance, and operation of CB Gas fired boiler and related steam production, including routine scheduling of operation, and maintenance of all equipment. Must be able to safely supervise all activities in a strong team environment, strive to get the most out of available resources, keep accurate records of production and analyze trends. Must be team and goal oriented with the crew and all departments, establish standards for productivity at all stages, have a positive attitude, project a positive image and promote teamwork. Must not compromise safety- personally or for the employees, must set the example for the employees in regards to safety, and will be an advocate for safety. This position is responsible and accountable for compliance with all applicable environmental (DEQ, EPA and State) and safety (OSHA) regulations in regards to gas-fired boiler facilities for the State of Oregon.Kiln Basic Functions:
This position will be available and perform vacation/absence relief if needed for all Willamina Division Boiler and Dry Kiln positions on all shifts. In addition to vacation/absence relief, this position will assist with a wide variety of Boiler/Kiln associated duties at the Willamina location including but not limited to: cleaning ponds, boiler maintenance and PM, kiln maintenance and PM, Boiler/Kiln trouble shooting and kiln schedule development. This person will also be available and perform necessary clean up in the Boiler/Kiln area if needed.Experience/Skills Required:
The successful candidate will be a leader, demonstrate a high degree of integrity, will be honest and forthcoming with information, demonstrate innovative techniques in problem solving and by extension, promote innovation in the crew. Must have a positive attitude about daily activities and project a positive image to the crew, be a team builder and promote teamwork, work well with peers and contribute to the success of the company, be inquisitive and always looking for ways to do things better. In addition, the successful candidate must possess a current, valid Oregon State driver’s license and a reliable mode of transportation to facilitate travel to the divisional facility locations. Must possess a current First Aid/CPR certification and Hampton PIT authorization.SKILLS, EDUCATION, AND TRAINING REQUIRED:
1.Practice safe work habits & comply with all company work & safety standards.
2.Correctly interpret company policies and procedures, in particular safety policies/procedures, to convey information to teammates.
3.A minimum of 1 years experience in operation of steam plants.
4.Formal education beyond high school is desired with a degree from an institution of higher learning preferred.
5.Ability to quickly learn and apply the latest technologies.
6.Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and projects to meet production schedule/project requirements.
7.Ability to resolve problems and follow through with all concerned parties.
8.Analyze and resolve work problems and/or assist all teammates in solving work problems.
9.Involve the Human Resources staff when changes occur that affect personnel.
10.Train and motivate teammates.
11.Be a team player, builder and promoter; of leadership in the Willamina facility.EXPERIENCE OR TRAINING REQUIRED:
Forklift operation, mechanical ability.LICENSE OR CERTIFICATE REQUIRED:
Must have current PIT license. Successful completion of Quality Awareness classes will be strongly considered when awarding this bid job. Kiln classes and courses will be taken when offered by the Company.Preferred Skills:
The Boiler/Kiln Lead is responsible for safety performance of those supervised and ensures all team members adhere to safe work practices and procedures. Will constructively confront those team members who are not following the same, and reward those who are, while working in concert with the Willamina Plant Manager to establish and achieve joint safety goals.QUALITY
Provides consistent steam pressure for proper operation of kilns while maintaining a high level of communication to the kiln department on flow issues. Verifies that the boiler team is meeting the needs of the kilns for the highest quality of drying.HOUSEKEEPING
Maintain clean and orderly work environment in all locations. This includes buildings, grounds, lunchrooms, bathrooms, and rolling stock.
Helps develop and understand the operating budget and works with the teams to achieve TO APPLY: Click HereNOTE: Job postings on Kilndrying.org are provided as a free service. We do our best to keep all postings current. However, if you discover a job listed on our forum is no longer available, please send us a message to that effect and we will remove from the board. Thank you.